The information below has been collected by the Citylife team via intense research. Please keep in mind that we are not directly related to any legal or government departments and the information may be subject to change.
The Empadronamiento is an administrative registry that is used by the City Hall to keep the city up to date with who is currently living in the municipality. The registry informs the council of all current inhabitants so they can therefore grant access to community services and also, acts as your proof of residency in the municipality. By Spanish law, registering to the Empadronamiento is a mandatory requirement for everybody and is essential for anyone wanting to avail of public education or health services. In addition, registration will be essential if you plan on applying for more important documents such as the NIE or the TIE and also certain procedures related to the Alien Act (family reunification, social ties, work reasons etc). However, the Empadronamiento does not give you legal status of permanent residency and does not serve the same purpose as the NIE/TIE – these are different documents completely.
Steps to obtain the registration of residency (Empadronamiento):
- Make an appointment with the City Hall of Madrid, you can do this online (at the end of this article you will find a summary of the offices in Madrid. Choose the one closest to your house) or (by calling the office number 010)
- Prepare your personal documents:
- If you are Spanish: DNI or passport
- If you are from the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: Residency card, passport or document of identity from your country of origin
- If you are from anywhere else: Residency card or passport
- Prepare the necessary documents:
- Valid rental contract with a maximum duration of 5 years and a minimum or 6 months or less, if it is an extendable contract.
- The last receipt of rent paid (which should consist of information to identify the rental: leaseholder, landlord, property address, date of pay, etc.) or proof of payment of the deposit if you have just signed and still have not made a payment of monthly instalments.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I register for an Empadronamiento even if I don’t have papers?
If for some reason you do not have the necessary papers or documents to be in Spain, you won’t have any problems registering yourself with the City Hall. The purpose of the registry is solely to monitor the inhabitants of the city and manage public services so therefore, the City Hall has no control over the legality or illegality of the people registered on “El Padrón”. (Read, “What Documents do I Need to Live, Work, and Study Legally in Madrid?)
- How much does it cost to register for an Empadronamiento?
There is no charge for registering.
- Do I have to renew my Empadronamiento?
It is not necessary to renew your Empadronamiento, except in the case of citizens that have a nationality of a country that is not a member of the European Union and do not have permanent residency in Spain. These people should renew every two years since the initial date of registration. If the case they do not renew, the City Hall will proceed to remove them from the census.
- In Madrid, there are many Oficinas de Atencion al Ciudadanos. Below you have a complete list of available offices, you can choose the office that is closest to your house or the office that will permit you to have an appointment on your desired date and time.
- Ciudad Lineal
- Puente de Vallecas
- San Blas
- Villa de Vallecas
– Your Citylife Team