The Citylife team has collected the information below via intense research in collaboration with Proyecto Océano, one of Madrid’s most known legal associations. Please keep in mind that we are not directly related to any legal or government departments and the information may be subject to change.
[Pincha aquí para la versión en español]
If you’re not from Spain, but are living or planning on moving here, then you will most likely need to have at least one of the following documents. There are different documents required to live, study and work legally whilst in Spain. This articles outlines all you need to know about the NIE/TIE, Empadronamiento, and Social Security Number.
What are these legal documents anyways?
- Empadronamiento: The Empadronamiento is an official document stating where you live. This will make you a citizen of the city in which you reside, and will be needed in many cases (especially if you are not a citizen of the EU or equivalent) to apply for any other paperwork like the TIE etc.
- NIE/TIE: The NIE (‘Número de Identidad de Extranjero’) is a number of identification assigned to any non-Spaniard who lives in Spain. It is necessary to carry out any procedures with administration services, to contract products and services, and ultimately to provide your identity number. EU citizens (or equivalent*) might need to apply for the NIE depending on the criteria in the graph outlined below (click on it)! The TIE (‘Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero’) is the identity card that all citizens of Non EU member countries (or equivalent*) have to apply for once they arrive in Spain. This identity card will contain a photo in addition to your NIE proving your identity and recognizing you legally. So as a Non EU citizen you will need to apply for the TIE once in Spain, not the NIE!
- Social Security Number: This is required to legally work or do a paid internship in Spain. You will need to request the so called “número de afiliación” so that your employer can request your social security number.
NIE/TIE application problems – prepare for a challenge!
Local registrations in Spain tend to be very complex & confusing especially due to language barriers, incomplete & contradicting information online as well as the constant absence of online appointments.
MTS Relocation Spain – help is on the way!
Over the years we have witnessed the hassle when it comes to applying for your NIE/TIE. So we know exactly what frustration and stress it tends to create and what it means to you personally. That’s why we created a brand called MTS Relocation Spain, a specialized provider in relocation and legal topics.
If you would like to avoid a bumpy start of your Madrid experience, get in touch with MTS. This way you get your NIE/TIE, Empadronamiento or Social Security Number processed on time and without hassle. There are also discounted rates for international students available! Click here for more information!
To this day we at Citylife Madrid and MTS are proud of our 100% satisfaction rate from our clients. Which is why we can assure you, without a doubt, that we will be able to help you as well.
How to get NIE/TIE on your own
If you would like to give it a try and do it yourself, the graph below outlines the legal requirements depending on your personal situation. Click on the links to get to the detailed instructions!
- From a EU-member country or not
- Length of your stay in Spain
- Purpose of your stay in Spain:
- Studies / unpaid internship
- Work / paid internship
- Carrying out operations with tax repercussions
* EU citizens and equivalent refers to: Citizens of the European Union (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland , Hungary , Ireland , Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Romania and Sweden), the European Economic Area (Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway) and Switzerland.
Do you have other legal questions/topics you need assistance with?
Please fill out the form below and your query will be sent to us as well as to our friends at Proyecto Océano, one of Madrid’s most known legal associations, who are also here to help you out! Please note: By sending the form below, you automatically agree that we can forward your data to Proyecto Océano as well as MTS Relocation Spain.